Thursday, March 25, 2010

Who Is Jubilance?

A blogger & Twitter friend @faydra_deon asked me if I had a bio on my blog, and I realized I didn't!

Some of you know me IRL, others e-know me from the Internets, and I'm sure some of you just stumbled on this crazy blog & keep reading cause you liked it.  But I've never really introduced myself on this blog...or even on Confessions of a Grad School Slave either, so what the heck, I can do it now!

So who is Jubilance?  Well let's see...

I'm the oldest of 4 kids. I have 2 brother right below me, who are both married and have kids.  My sister is the baby.  My brothers had 3 babies 5 days apart (1 set of twins & 1 single birth) so I am the proud auntie of 3 gorgeous little ladies who I love to pieces.  All my siblings live in MI, along with both my parents, my aunts & uncles & most of my cousins.  I'm the only one so far who has left, and I have zero plans to move back.  I try to get home & visit my family whenever I can.

I've always been bossy, or as my dad liked to say at parent-teacher night "VERY assertive".  I've always had a leader mentality which my dad encouraged.  Now as an adult I've learned how to tone it down a bit in certain situations.

I'm from MI, but I went to college in MN, and apparently that confuses people...like what, folks can't go to college out of state? For real? 0_o  I loved my college experience: I made great friends, partied, road-tripped, pledged, partied some more, fell in love, fell out of love, grew & learned so much about myself, and occasionally went to class too.  I'm very proud of the fact that I graduated with a degree in Chemistry in 4 years, 8 semesters & no summers to be exact.  Sometimes I wish I had extended my collegiate experience a bit longer, but I definitely enjoyed myself while I was there.

I loved my grad school experience in Atlanta too...I'm very happy that I figured out that a PhD wasn't what I wanted before it was too late to walk away.  I had a ball in Atlanta but I couldn't settle down there permanently.  I love to visit tho!

My bff in the whole wide world is LK.  We've known each other for 10+ years, after we met at a summer engineering program at the University of Michigan.  Through the years he's always been there & I will always love him.  My mom loves him too & I think she's doing some voodoo spell right now to try to get us together, LOL.


I pledged Sigma Gamma Rho my senior year of undergrad and I love my sorority.  I remember when I first pledged, I was such a neo.  Its been almost 7 years and I've definitely mellowed on Greek life.  I can't tell you the last time I wore nailia, or strolled, or even went to a stepshow.  BTW, Jubilance is my linename, and that's how a lot of folks know me, if you know me from the Internets.  In fact, some folks call me Jubi more than they use my real name.  My linename reflected not only how I was online but also my overall personality & demeanor, so I don't mind being referred to as Jubilance or Jubi.

My last relationship was in August 2006, so its been almost 4 years since I was someone's gf.  For a long time I was anti-relationship.  Then there was my relationship-ADD & my 3 month rule (where I'd date a guy for about 3 months & then get bored with him).  I've reflected, grown & gotten my life together, so I'm ready to be in a relationship again...with the right man.  I've dated a lot since August 2006, had some almost-bf's, but haven't done the titles thing.  I think its time to change that.

I'm a Twitter addict.  When LK first invited me to join I was like "wtf is a Twitter?".  Now I'm a junkie.  Apps on the phone, Tweetdeck @ home, and I'm on the website at work as much as I can.  For over a year I did a daily question of the day, but I've had to let it go since I can't access Twitter from my BB @ work anymore :-/

I have a really bad handbag habit.  I really love Gucci, Michael Kors, and the leather Coach bags (the signature, not so much...).  Right now I'm scheming on a couple of Michael Kors bags and a new Gucci, I figure I deserve it.  Living in Orlando was both good & bad for my handbag habit: good in that several outlets were in town or nearby (including one of the few Gucci outlets in St. Augustine) but bad in that now I have way too many bags in my closet.  I figure everyone has their "thing" that they spend $$$ on, for some its shoes, or electronics, or world travel...for me, its expensive handbags. 

I am a huge SATC fan.  I have every season on DVD, along with the movie.  I will be at the midnight showing for SATC2.  I know most of the dialogue for almost every episode by heart.  SATC is what got into fashion & accessories, and my wardrobe has gotten much more fabulous.

Professionally, I am a polymer/analytical chemist.  My first job out of grad school was with a defense contractor, as a member of the laboratory staff.  Job was great, but my timetable for promotions wasn't matching up with theirs, so I left 2 months ago.  Leaving also allowed me to move back to MN, which I love.  I got a promotion & I'm in a totally new industry, so I'm learning a lot.  In my new role I do much more analytical chemistry, which is an adjustment, but I'm adding my skills to my skillset so I'm happy.

I'm very social, I love to go out and do things.  I'm not the type that likes to sit in the house, especially sit in the house up under a dude.  I wanna be with my boo, but I want to get out and do activities, which is why I needed to be in a city with lots of activities & culture.  I love museums, restaurants, bars, plays, sporting events, taking long weekends to somewhere new, all that good stuff.  If its out & about, I wanna do it.

I'm very extroverted.  I'm the type of person who will start randomly talking to strangers while waiting in a long line at the bank.  I'm the woman who will chat it up with a guy at the bar.  I feed off my interactions with other people, it gives me energy.  I enjoy my alone time, but no one could confuse me for being introverted at all.  I'm about as extroverted as you can get.

I have the greatest mom ever.  We're very close & I'm so lucky that I have such a great mom.  She's had a lot of struggles in her life & she worked really hard to give her kids the life she didn't have growing up.  I joke & say that she must have had a clone because she worked full-time, went to school, took care of 4 kids & a husband and never missed a game, parent-teacher conference or school play.  My mom is my idol & should I ever have kids, I hope that I can be even half the mother she is.

I'm a feminist.  I don't want to be equal to a man, I love being a woman.  I want women to have the same access and opportunities that men have, and mainstream Western society is nowhere near that.  I tend to think in a very egalitarian manner, especially when it comes to gender roles in relationships.  I don't subscribe to the idea that I have to wait for a man to approach me, or that because I'm the woman I'm supposed to cook and clean.  Because I work in a very male-dominated field, I often feel more pressure & tend to look at things from a more feminist point of view.

I grew up in a very pro-Black household.  My dad read a lot of Marcus Garvey, Malcom X, and Louis Farrakhan, and was briefly a member of NOI.  Growing up, I remember my dad making us write reports on influential Black leaders & making us read them outloud to him before he would let us go play.  All I had were Black dolls, books with Black characters and pictures, Black films, etc. in our house.  As a child, I didn't understand what he was trying to give me...but once I was out in the real world, I understood.  He tried to give us a foundation in our culture, a love & pride in my history & people, so that I could carry it with me always.  I have & I thank my father for giving me those invaluable lessons.

I have plans for world domination.  My ultimate career goal is to become VP of R&D for a Fortune 100 company.  I have a business idea that I've been kicking around with my good friend LM, and I also have an investment idea with my buddy FS.  Eventually I'd like to get married, but I'm still undecided on the kids thing.  I want to mentor kids, especially young Black girls & make a significant impact on the world.

My other attributes...well, lets see: I can be a snob at times (tho I'm not as bad as I was, I guess I've matured); I love to laugh & crack jokes; I have a smart/sarcastic mouth; I'm fiercely loyal & I expect it back from the folks I call my friends; I detest when people judge other folks & I try not to judge because of that; I love variety, I get bored very easily; I'm a voracious reader; and I can talk for hours if the conversation is stimulating.

Learned enough abt me yet? Got anymore questions? Ask away!

2 comments:

melette said...

There is so much I didn't know. I love it.

TravelinMan said...

Alright now...can we discuss this further over some baked fish and veggies; I got the wine!