Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Online Love

I started thinking about online relationships the other day. Not online dating in the traditional sense of Match.com & Blackpeoplemeet.com...but in terms of just meeting a person that would like to date, but you happen to meet online.
I know several couples who have met on various sites: Facebook, Myspace, various message boards (Greeks are notorious for this I think ), etc. In those settings, its not really about "meeting someone" (well maybe Myspace is abt that now, but it wasn't always that way, but I digress...)....its about connecting with like-minded folks & sharing your opinion. Even now, folks are linking up via Twitter, and I know there have to be a ton of relationships out there that started via Twitter. "Meeting" online is an interesting thing...cause you only know that person based on what they blog/post/tweet & that could either be a great representation of their personality & mannerisms, or they could be playing a character. Over the years I've meet folks in both groups: some folks are themselves on the 'Net & off, while others enjoy the anonymity of the 'Net & the ability to be someone that they aren't IRL. So what's the appeal of dating someone that you know from the Internets? In some ways, getting to know someone without the stress of physical interaction could be a great thing...provided that both people are being sincere & being themselves. Often those relationships go to a deeper level, because the only interaction that you can have requires some type of communication & sharing of information. Whether its a friendship or something more, being able to start off with strong communication is key. I gotta say, I've met some great friends online...and a few great lovers too. Besides being on FB & Twitter, I've belonged to various message boards over the years. I've gotten to connect with some folks that I would have never met otherwise. Some folks are "Internet-only friends", while others are the type of friends that you travel to see...or at least call when you're in their city. As for the men I've met...some have turned into friends...some got the boot...some were just casual Internet flirtations.... Given how prevalent social networking & other sites are now, & how wired so many people live (especially in my generation), I expect to hear even more "how we met" stories begin with the words "online", "on this website" or something similar. Ever dated or become IRL friends with someone you met online? I wanna hear stories in the comments!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always admire your writings from afar. I personally (obviously when my identity is revealed) feel no qualms with internet dating because it provides a medium for persons to connect who may not have had the opportunity. Now they all fall into a category of "reason, season, or a potential lifetime"; however, there is still a purpose. Overall, it can be construed as the information age's lounge, club, etc depending on the where and purpose. Its not as taboo anymore, in my opinion, due the sheer magnitude of "online dating". Just my response. Glad all is well, and keep writing.

ADH

Tunde said...

i absolutely see nothing wrong with meeting and dating someone online. while i would never go the route of match.com i have met some great women on message boards. i've also met some interesting people on twitter as well. it is what it is.

BFrank84 said...

I love this blog entry and it flowed great! Anyway I have no issue with folks meeting online. As some of the I-Net friends of mines know from various msgbrds that I have been in a relationship for five years with a guy I met offline, I even moved 900 miles from my eastcoast comforting surroundings for the flat lands of the midwest - which I never would have done, maybe visit but live five years HELL NO. No regrets just happy that I am young enough to live and learn which is what life is about. But I do tell people to be carefully - just because a person betrays themselves one way online does not mean they are the same offline....I have not ran into anyone that fake or crazy but then I also consider myself a pretty good judge in character

Eskwire said...

Im glad to finally see a posting as well as commentary from sane people. Because usually the consensus from people is that they would never date a person that they met online because all the people online are "crazy." To which I follow with a rebuttal that "of the millions of people online, you believe that you are the only sane one?" LOL People are a trip. My high school sweetheart was met in an AOL chatroom in like 98, and we're still really close today. I think with dating someone u met online u get a better perspective on who that person is so long as they are being real in the interactions and not showing you their "cyber persona." You can find friendships, lovers, and even booty kalls online, but why limit yourself to just personal face-to-face interactions.